Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mini Towers of Copenhagen

Our plan today was to go to the "Traffic Playground" at Fælledparken. The playground has driving lanes and traffic signs, where you can ride one of their non-motorized go-karts. We went there once last year, and we liked the uniqueness of the playground, so we decided to revisit. 

We took a short bus ride to get there, only to find that the playground is under renovation and closed until October this year. Bummer! Now what do we do? Luckily, I had done a little research before we left, and marked on my map another playground that is located on the other side of Fælledparken, the largest park in Copenhagen by the way. But the playground seemed worth checking out, so we walked across the park, having picnic lunch on our way. 


The playground, so-called the "Tower Playground" turned out to be a big hit. The playground is built around five of Copenhagen's most famous towers - Round Tower, City Hall, Our Savior's Church, the Exchange Tower, and the Marble Church (or Frederiks Church). Below are pictures of the park and pictures of the actual towers. Can you match them?? I was quite proud of myself for being able to recognize all the towers by myself. But then again, they are all really famous towers in Copenhagen, so if you lived  or spent some time here, you will most likely be able to name them all, too. 



Clockwise from top left: the Marble Church, City Hall,
Our Savior's Church, Round Tower, and the Exchange Tower.
At the park I also had an interesting sighting. There was this group of about 10-12 moms with their strollers (or should I call them prams?) parked under the tree (of course with their babies in them), jogging and exercising.  As you may have seen in my last year's blog, people in Denmark (or in Scandinavia in general) use really big prams compared to what we are used to seeing in the US or in Japan (see my post here). In the US, some people (not me!) go jogging with their strollers, but they usually use a special "jogging stroller". Here, I saw all these moms jogging with their big prams! That is hard-core! And there were a lot of them. So that was my Danish moment of the day...



No comments:

Post a Comment